- Own or install one of the professional 3D applications that can host ePMV. If new to 3D, we recommend the demo version of Cinema4D for its ease of use.
- Have or install the latest version of MGL_Tools which contains ePMV.
- If you just finished installing ePMV and your host software of choice was open, you must quit it and restart for the plugin to be recognized.
- Load the plugin by referring to the menu guides shown below for either Cinema 4D, Blender, or Maya.
- An ePMV window should appear in your applications graphic user interface.
- By default, in Cinema 4D, ePMV will appear in a new window, in
Blender, it will appear in the Scripts panel, in Maya it will appear in
the Node editor.
- With 1crn pretyped into the first text box, click Fetch in the ePMV GUI.
- Check the [ ] Ribbon box.
- You should see a protein ribbon backbone for the protein crambin (identified as 1crn in the Protein Data Bank):
- The crambin ribbon should show two pink alpha helices (telephone chords) and two yellow beta strands (arrows) connected by white tubes
- Explore the plugin buttons and the professional software options for a moment. Then, before you get overwhelmed with all of the options, view our Tutorials page to start more serious project examples.
Please Note: ePMV is currently in beta version. If you encounter any errors, please check the forum, if you don't find an answer Contact us to help us improve the software.